Friday, March 11, 2016

Day Three -- tired and sore

Just a quick update, with more later, but Day 3 can be summed up in two words...Sore and Tired.

The soreness actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Most of the soreness from the chest workout on Wednesday has faded, but my triceps (back of the upper arm) are sorer today, partly from Wednesday's working and partly from Thursday cardio on the stationary bike. Sometimes, just to be different, I'll climb on the bike upside down and pedal with my arms.

Okay, not really -- but I had you wondering, didn't I?

The bike workout did contribute to the arm soreness, though. Just think -- when you're on a bike, you're leaning down on the handlebars, your weight on your arms. You're not really giving your arms a workout, but you are tensing and using the muscles. So, that's why my triceps are a little sorer today.

As for being tired, that's mostly from lack of sleep, which is one of the really bad habits I need to break. Did you know that long-term lack of sleep is a major contributing factor to high blood pressure and heart disease? Some studies have even shown it to be one of the MAJOR factors in heart disease. One day, I'll write a blog about it, citing some of those studies.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people with too much to do (or sometimes just stupid stuff to do, like binge-watch a television show on Netflix). I'll often think "I'll just go short on sleep, what's the big deal?" Yeah, I might be sluggish and tired the next day, or have a headache, but so what? I'll just make it up on the weekend.

Well, that's actually a bad, bad thing to do from a health standpoint, and it's something I need to change. But this week I've already started tackling the bad eating habit and the lack-of-exercise habit, so the sleep will have to wait. Besides, this week is the ACC basketball tournament, and...well...come on, it's BASKETBALL! I'll work on the sleep next week, after the tournament, because, after all, it's BASKETBALL.

That's all for now, I'll post later regarding today's workout and eating. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment