Friday, April 8, 2016

One Month -- Weigh In Day!

Well, today marked one month since I started on this, and I'm doing a happy dance!

Let's recap just a bit. When I realized something had to be done, way back on March 7, I tipped the scales at 279 pounds. Two days later, when I officially started this, on March 9, I was 277.6 pounds. HUGE.

Today, after 30 days, I'm not quite so huge. I came in this morning at 256.2 pounds. That's right, 21.4 pounds in 30 days!

I have to admit, it feels pretty good to know I dropped 21 pounds. It's not just the scale--I'm feeling better, clothes are fitting better (I wore a pair of pants today that I couldn't even close and button a month ago). I'm lifting more weight, for more reps, able to push much harder and longer on my cardio.

In all, it's been a good month.

But it's just a beginning. My goal, losing 80 pounds, is still a long way off, and the weight loss will be much slower. I've also run into a couple of obstacles. If you've read my blog over the past day or two, you know I've been having some forearm issues that may limit some of my weight workouts. My left knee gives me a little trouble, which limits how much I can do on the stationary bike.

But there are ways to work around all of that. For now, tonight, I'm just feeling good about the first month, and even better about prospects for the second month and beyond. I am going to change things up quite a bit, though, beginning this weekend, so come on back tomorrow to see what I'll be doing.

As for today, here's the scoop:

Breakfast
Cappuccino (the K-cup variety)
Eggs (1 whole, 2 white)

Lunch
Spiral ham (3 ounces)
Baked beans -- 1 cup

Snack
Salad (2 cups lettuce, 5 olives, 1/4 cup cheese, 2 tablespoons fat-free dressing)
Fat free Greek yogurt

Dinner
Boiled chicken thighs -- 5 ounces
Oriental veggies -- 1/2 cup

Water --50 ounces
Diet soda -- 24 ounces

Workout:
This one is hard. I did no workout today. I had every intention of doing a chest, shoulder and triceps workout,  but in the end, as much as I hated to, I decided to take the day off to let my forearms rest. I also skipped the cardio. After four pretty long cardio sessions over consecutive days, I decided to give the knee a rest.

I gotta tell you, usually when I'm working out, I look for ways to avoid going to the gym. Now, I feel like such a slacker. I absolutely HATE missing any kind of workout today. But, I'm trying to think long-term, and avoid anything that might keep me from working out over a longer stretch.

And, if it seems I didn't eat a lot today, that's because I'm relaxing some there tonight as well. I'm getting ready to change up my eating quite a bit for the next month, so forgive me if I take a few hours off.

Anyway, that's the report for today -- 21.4 pounds lost in a month!

Thanks for stopping by. Check in tomorrow to see what month two changes I have in store.

4 comments:

  1. Great job! It's always good when your hard work shows results. Keeps one motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bailey. You're right, the results to help keep me going.

    Now, did you really come here to read my blog or see Jean-Luc Picard dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job uncle John! Have considered swimming as pet of your cardio routine? It's very low impact for people with joint pain, or a bum knee. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. Unfortunately, when I try swimming it's usually the lifeguard who gets most of the cardio work. Well, okay, I'm not that bad of as simmer, but I'm not very good at it. Believe it or not, one exercise I've done in the past that did not bother my knee is the stair climber. Unfortunately, the one at my fitness center is broken, and they're not repairing it because they keep telling us they're replacing all the cardio equipment with new equipment next month, which will be nice, but until then...guess it's the stationary bike.

      Delete