Thursday, April 7, 2016

Day 29...cruising right along

Not a lot to write about today, other than more of the same. The biggest issue, I suppose, is my forearm. It's still pretty tender, and I've tried to be careful not to grip things tightly, and I've been especially careful with the angle I have my arm at when picking up things.

Typing's probably not great for it, either, so this blog will be short and sweet.

No weight training today, but it wasn't scheduled. I did do cardio, and the eating's been going okay, too, although I arrived home tonight to find little personal-sized Frito-and-chili pies for dinner. For everyone else, that is (even though, as I write this, there's still one out the the kitchen calling to me. Hold on a second, let me put some headphones on to drown that out....

Okay, better.

Now, for the food I DID eat today:

Breakfast
Coffee
Eggs (1 whole, 2 whites)

Lunch
Spiral ham -- 4 ounces
Baked beans -- 2/3 cup

Protein Bar

Boiled Chicken Thighs -- 5 ounces
Oriental veggies -- 1 cup

Talipia -- 6 ounces
Boiled Red Potatoes -- 6 ounces
Diet butter -- 1 1/2 tablespoons

Total for the day
1,340 calories
44 grams fat
137 grams protein

Workout for the day
Cardio -- stationary bike 
50 minutes (40 minutes at lvl 5, rest at lvl 4 as a cool-down)
18 miles
600 calories burned

That's all for today, folks. Tomorrow will by my one-month weight in, and then Saturday I'll tell you about some changes I'm going to make. Thanks for stopping in!

3 comments:

  1. So, do you really think it's better to eat just egg whites instead of the whole egg? I get confused on all the what you should or shouldn't eat. I need protein!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do you really think it's better to eat just egg whites instead of the whole egg? I get confused on all the what you should or shouldn't eat. I need protein!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question of whether eggs are good for you or bad for you never seems to have an answer. In the old days, doctors said eggs were bad, because they contained cholesterol. There was no scientific study to say they were bad, just the idea that if too much cholesterol is bad, then it must be bad to each food with cholesterol.

    Turns out, after numerous studies and research, the cholesterol you eat doesn't turn into additional cholesterol in your body. So for a while eggs were considered good for you.

    In recent years the research has gone back and forth -- eggs cause a certain type of plaque to build up in your veins, then it was discovered that's only in people who eat meat, vegetarians who eat meat don't have that issue. Another steady seemed to indicate people who eat a lot of eggs are more susceptible to some forms of cancer, yet eggs seem to have properties that lower certain heart disease risks.

    So who knows?

    I eat one whole egg and two egg whites most days. Egg whites are only 16 calories each, with 4 grams of protein and no fat or none of the bad stuff. A whole egg is 78 calories, with 6 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein. My mixture of a whole egg with two whites gets me 14 grams of protein for 110 calories, with no carbs.

    Some people eat a lot of whites -- the guy I wrote about who ate like Dwayne Johnson had a 10-egg white omelet every day. That's 40 grams of pure protein. Me? I just think egg whites are too bland, that's why I do a whole egg with the whites. If I weren't afraid I'd eat us out of house and home, I'd probably eat three or four whites with the whole egg, but that's a lot.

    You might try alternating -- one day do a whole egg with two or three whites, the next day eat three or four whites alone. You'd be getting somewhere around 14 to 18 grams of protein for breakfast every day that way.

    ReplyDelete