Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Eight-week Weigh-In And Meeting a Blog Reader!

Today marks exactly eight weeks since I officially started the weight loss efforts, and I weighed in this morning at 245 -- that's 34 pounds less than when this started. That's a lot, at least to me. I still have a long way to go, with a goal of losing 80 pounds of fat, but I'm getting close to the half-way point!

I also met someone in real life who's been reading my blog. Well, I mean other than relatives. When I walked into the gym tonight the center's director, a guy named Greg Hampton, was working with a new member, walking the person through a workout on the Nautilus machines. But when I walked in he stopped for a minute, told me he'd been reading the blog and enjoyed seeing my progress. (I would put a link to him here, but some folks don't like that, and since I met him in real life and not online, and didn't ask if it would be okay, I'll forgo that).

A little bit later, after Greg was done with the new member, he came over to where I was working out to chat a few minutes, mostly just to see how it was going, make a few encouraging comments on my work and progress, that sort of thing. I have to say I really appreciated him doing that. Devotees of my blog will know that I've made little comments from time to time about a piece of equipment there not working, or some other little problem, but all in all it's actually a really nice facility. I work out at The Carroll Wellness Center, and it's really more of a community center than strictly a gym. 

Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of weight equipment, and some big dudes working out hard, just like you'd see at a more hardcore gym, but they also have an indoor swimming pool, a gym, indoor and outdoor walking tracks, and a lot of activities for kids and families (they even have a child care service so parents can get a break from their kids to workout).

It's not perfect -- but then whatever is -- but it's a good center and some really friendly staffers. It's hard to go in or out of there without getting a smile and a hello from at least two or three of them. Anyway, I'm not trying to turn this into a commercial for the center, but it is a nice place to workout, with a load of alternatives for whatever you want to do -- my wife and youngest do Zumba there three or four nights a week, and several of our crew occasionally utilize the basketball courts, so we definitely get a lot out of the center.

For today, I was on my own working out -- my son was a little under the weather so he decided to sit out. 

Today's schedule:

Workout
Weight training -- chest, shoulders, triceps

Chest
Flat bench barbell press
135 pounds -- 1 set, 10 reps
185 pounds -- 1 set, 8 reps
210 pounds -- 1 set, 8 reps
200 pounds -- 1 set, 8 reps
190 pounds -- 1 set, 8 reps (just barely -- not having a spotter is great motivation to finish off that last rep!)

Incline barbell bench press
135 pounds -- 2 sets, 10 reps each

Flat-bench dumbbell flyes
40 pound dumbbells -- 2 sets, 10 reps each

Shoulders
Seated barbell press
115 pounds -- 1 set, 8 reps
100 pounds -- 1 set, 10 reps

Machine side raises
115 pounds -- 2 sets, 10 reps each

Seated machine rear delt flyes
140 pounds -- 2 sets, 10 reps each

Triceps
Lying curl bar tricep extension
50 pounds -- 2 sets, 10 reps each
40 pounds -- 1 set each

Seated overhead dumbbell extension
60 pounds -- 1 set, 10 reps

Abs
Seated Machine Crunch
125 pounds -- 2 sets, 15 reps each

Food for the day
Breakfast
Coffee
Eggs -- 1 whole, 2 whites
Oatmeal -- 1/3 cup dry

Lunch
Chef Salad (not in the plans for the day, but I rarely get to eat lunch with my wife, so yeah, I went out today for lunch because she was around, and the chef salad was the ONLY thing on the menu that would qualify as healthy, clean eating)
Note: The salad was about 3 ounces turkey, 3 ounces ham, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, lettuce, some grape tomatoes, and a few onions. NO dressing.

Snack
Fat free Greek yogurt

First dinner
Center cut pork loin, 4 ounces
Mixed veggies -- 1/2 cup

Second dinner
Garlic chicken -- 5 ounces (and I do mean GARLIC --I could walk through a room full of vampires right now and be safe)
Baked potato -- 5 ounces
Diet butter -- 1 tablespoon

Total for the day

1,270 calories
45 grams fat
124 grams protein

water -- 65 ounces
diet soda -- 30 ounces

I might get a little snack before bed, if I do I'll update. If not, that's it for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment