Sunday, May 8, 2016

Eating Clean Isn't Always The Same As Eating Healthy

Today didn't go anywhere near as planned.

As you may know from past blogs, we had planned a big Mother's Day celebration with my wife and most of our kids (our oldest and her husband were going to be gone, but the rest would be here).

That changed about 3 in the morning, when my wife woke up sick ... REALLY sick, as in losing throwing up, fever, aching -- all the bad stuff.

So, Mother's Day celebration in our house, including eating out at one of my wife's favorite restaurants, has been put on hold. We still had the crew in, and I grilled chicken breasts, hamburgers and hot dogs, along with baked potatoes. I, of course, passed up the hot dogs, and I had a hamburger, but it was that super-lean, 95-percent ground beef, with no mayo, no ketch-up, none of the bad stuff. Just a slice of tomato.

I have to say that made it a little easier to stick to the cleaning eating plan, but it certainly was not the way I'd want. 

Even though I stuck with the clean eating both yesterday for my daughter's graduation, and today with the muted Mother's Day gathering, I can't say I ate exactly healthy. Eating healthy means regular, small meals, every two-and-a-half to three hours. Healthy meals with lean protein, veggies, complex carbs. And it means a heck of a lot more protein than I took in.

Saturday I took in more calories than any other day since I started the 30-day clean eating program, and the bulk of that was in one meal. Again, today, I actually only ate twice. Not exactly the way I should be eating, I know, but I can still honestly say I'm still on my 30-day healthy eating plan (just three more days to go as I write this)!

Anyway, here's the scoop from the past couple of days. No working out either day, as planned, although, I bet I walked a solid 30 minutes, at a decent pace, before and after my daughter's graduation -- most of it before. Walking from the parking lot to the building where the ceremony was held; walking from there afterward across campus to the building where a "little" reception was planned, but we skipped it after seeing a line a mile long; followed by walking to the campus Starbucks because we have two Starbucks addicts among our family;  then walking all the way across campus to get back to our car. So maybe, just maybe that counts as a teeny tiny bit of cardio?

Saturday, May 7.
Breakfast
Coffee
Fat Free Greek Yogurt

Lunch
Small, tiny, little burger of lean meat
Bun
Tomato/lettuce

Dinner
New York Strip Steak -- 5 ounces
Rice -- 1-1/2 cup
Veggies -- 1-1/2 cup
Shrimp -- just a handful
All cooked in sesame and soy oil

Chicken broth soup with mushrooms
Salad (tomatoes, lettuce, onions)
Salad dressing -- 2 tablespoons

Snack
Raisin Bran
Soy milk

Totals for the day--1,730 calories
56 grams fat
90 grams protein (way, way too low.

Water -- 65 ounces
Diet soda -- 24 ounces 

SUNDAY

Breakfast -- nothing, skipped it

Lunch
Super-lean hamburger meat -- 5 ounces
Whole wheat hamburger bun
Provolone cheese
Baked potato -- 6 ounces
Diet butter -- 1 tablespoon

Dinner
Lean pork -- 4.25 ounces
Provolone cheese
Rye bread (2 slices)

1,035 calories
38 grams of fat
90 grams of protein (again, far too little)

Water 60 ounces
Diet Soda -- 24 ounces

No comments:

Post a Comment