Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Day 1A -- 60 in 60

That's right, since I had a bit of a false start with the original Day 1, this will be day 1A.

Of course, even this is late. I usually try to do my blog at the end of the day, late at night, but was simply too tired last night. So, you get the LATE Day 1A blog. Since it's late, I'll be quick and to the point.

Monday I did weight training for the workout, and did okay on the eating. Perhaps even came in too low there. And remember, many days I'm going to spell out exactly what I do, exercise wise, as well as what I eat. I figure if anyone wants to give this a try, this can be a bit of a model to follow (though if you're not used to working out, you might want to go easier on the weights at first).

Also, I'll share some good, tasty, healthy recipes along the way!

Here's my workout for the day (Monday)

Weights (Chest, shoulders, triceps)

Bench Press
135 pounds -- 10 reps
165 ponds -- 8 reps
195 pounds -- 8 reps
225 pounds -- 6 reps
195 -- 8 reps

Incline Bench
115 pounds -- 15 reps
100 pounds -- 12 reps

Seated flyes (machine)
95 pounds -- 2 sets, 12 reps each

Shoulders
Seated rear shoulder flyes (machine)
120 pounds -- 2 sets, 15 reps each

Seated side raises (machine)
85 pounds -- 2 sets, 10 reps each.

Triceps
Cable press-down
130 pounds -- 15 reps
130 pounds -- 12 reps
130 pounds -- 10 reps

Weighted, seated crunch (machine)
95 pounds -- 15 reps
95 pounds -- 12 reps

That's it for the first day. You'll notice I do some work with machines. I prefer free weights, but the machines sometimes offer two advantages. First, I've got a bit of a forearm issue from an injury a couple of years ago, and if I put too much stress on it (such as doing standing flyes with dumbbells), I can find myself out of workouts for a week or two.

Second, they can offer a little bit of a cardio effect. Last night I was working out with my youngest son (usually both of my sons work out with me, but the older one was working). So during the shoulder portion of the workout, we each took a machine, did a set, then switched and did a set of the next exercise, then the next, then the next, with no rest breaks in between. Same with the triceps and ab work. That's hard to do with free weights because you have to change weights on the bar, which gives you a bit of a rest time. With machines, you just pull a pin out and slip it back it on the weight pack and you keep on moving.

We also probably went a little light on the shoulders. I wanted to do some overhead presses, but some older guy was more or less camping on the over head press machine (By that, I mean he would do a set, then just sit there for four or five minutes, like it was his living room sofa, before doing another set, then just sitting there. Man, do the work and move on!) We could have done presses with the barbell, but we were running a bit behind, so we just skipped it.

As for the eating? Here's how the day played out.

Breakfast
2 whole eggs
2 ounces lean ham

Lunch
Check breast, grilled, with some spicy coating -- 6 ounces
Black beans -- 1/4 cup
Mozzarella cheese -- 1/8 cup
Mixed lettuce/greens salad

Snack
Greek Yogurt (light, fat free)

First dinner
Lean Pork (grilled, light olive oil-based marinade) -- 5 ounces
Mixed veggies -- 1-1/2 cup

Second dinner
Stuffed zucchini (recipe below)

Snack
Baked tilapia -- 5.5 ounces

Totals
1,240 calories
38 grams fat
163 grams protein
Water -- 60 ounces
Diet soda -- 48 ounces

Well, clearly I need to up the water and cut back on the diet soda. Otherwise, I was a little low on total calories and protein for the day. I had intended to also have oatmeal at breakfast but ran out of time, a banana with my yogurt for the afternoon snack but wasn't that hungry, and I had intended to eat the fish, along with a sweet potato, for dinner. Unfortunately, I was running late from work when I got home and we went to the gym, so when I returned home I was too hungry to wait for it to cook, so I just had the stuffed zucchini for dinner, the fish for snack, and no sweet potato.

Oh, well, the diet's a work in progress.

Here's the recipe for stuff zucchini:

A zucchini cut in half length-wise, hollowed out, then stuffed with a mixture of 1-1/4 ounce lean ground beef, tablespoon of tomato sauce, tablespoon of spaghetti , a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese, all baked in the oven).

Well, I'm off, flying into Day 2A. Thanks for stopping by, come on back tonight to see how the day goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment